Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sponge-headed.

I think I've said all that can profitably be said about the inherent idiocy of zero tolerance, so I'll keep this short.

Police in New Jersey have arrested and criminally charged a seven-year-old for possession of a Nerf gun. A five-dollar Nerf gun, which my Christmas forays into Toys R Us tell me is a very small Nerf gun indeed. You don't even get a large-capacity Nerf magazines at that price.

Dr. Dan Blachford -- doubtless a bright and guiding light in the firmament of New Jersey pedagogy -- explained:
We are just very vigilant and we feel that if we draw a very strict line then we have much less worry about someone bringing in something dangerous.
Something dangerous. You know. Like a seven-year-old armed with foam rubber.

A mom at the school -- evidently less of a pedagogue, as she doesn't know the difference between "then" and "than" -- was relieved:

I would rather them go a little bit too far for the safety of all the children then to say "okay, it was probably nothing."
 Nothing. You know. Like a seven-year-old armed with foam rubber.

1 comment:

  1. Good grief. I hope the statute of limitations on spit-ball offenses has run... I may need a lawyer.

    SK

    ReplyDelete